Essential functions are the basic job duties.
ADA Regulations say that the following things should be taken into consideration when determining whether a job function is essential:
- The employer’s judgment about which functions are essential;
- Job descriptions that were written before a job was posted;
- The amount of time spent performing the function;
- The consequences of not requiring the person to perform the function;
- The terms of a collective bargaining agreement; and
- The work experience of others who have had, or currently hold, the same or similar positions.
For additional information, take a look at the following resources:
Fact Sheet: Reasonable Accommodations in the Workplace