You can file an ADA complaint alleging disability discrimination against a state or local government (Title II) or a public accommodation (Title III - including, for example, a restaurant, doctor's office, retail store, hotel, etc.) online, by mail, or fax.
Online Complaint Form for Titles II and III (fill out and submit through website)
Title II State and Local Government Complaint Form (print and mail or fax)
Title III Public Accommodation Complaint Information (mail or fax a letter)
Include the following:
- Your name, address, email, the telephone number. The name of the party discriminated against (if other than you).
- The name and address of the business, organization, institution, or person that you believe has discriminated.
- A brief description of the acts of discrimination, the dates they occurred, and the names of individuals involved in known.
- Other information that you believe necessary to support your complaint. Please send copies of relevant documents. Do not send original documents. (Retain them.)
- How to communicate with you effectively; for example if you want written communications in a specific format (e.g., large print, Braille, e-mail, or other electronic documents) or require communications by video phone or TTY.
Send your complaint to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fax: (202) 307-1197
To file a complaint using by mail, send your complaint form to the following address:
U.S. Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Civil Rights Division
Disability Rights Section – 1425 NYAV
Washington, D.C. 20530
If you are unable to write because of your disability and are unable to submit a complaint online, by mail, or fax, the Department can assist you by scribing your complaint by phone or, for individuals who communicate by American Sign Language, by videophone. Contact the ADA Information Line at 1-800-514-0301 (voice) or 1-800-514-0383 (TTY) to schedule an appointment. It may take two weeks or more for Department staff to contact you.
Please note that Title I employment complaints should be filed with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and/or the agency responsible for enforcing state laws against employment discrimination. The EEOC process for filing a charge of employment discrimination may be found at: www.eeoc.gov/employees/howtofile.cfm
Source: Frequently Asked Questions about Filing an ADA Complaint with the U.S. Department of Justice http://www.ada.gov/fact_on_complaint.htm