One in five people encountered during any disaster will have a disability. or about 56.7 million people, approximately 19 percent of the population, had a disability in 2010. Many first responders lack familiarity and working knowledge they require to successfully integrate all members of the community in all aspects of the work they do.
· Participants will learn how to plan an overnight exercise with the disability community
· Participants will hear about the challenges encountered in the process and learn how to overcome them
· Participants will come away with the tools necessary to replicate this activity in the local community
- Carole Tonks, Executive Director, ACI
- Luke Koppisch, Deputy Director, ACI
- Madeleine Goldfarb, Disability Integration Advisor, FEMA New Jersey Sandy Recovery